Sunday, July 11, 2010

World Cup Final, 3rd Place Game & Highlights

The 2010 World Cup has been an amazing event. A Ghanaian friend of mine from college flew to South Africa for the Uruguay vs. Ghana game. He said the atmosphere was ridiculous and borderline scary, but one of the most exhilarating moments he had ever experienced. Watching Landon Donovan score in the final minutes of the Algeria game was one of the most memorable moments of the tournament for me and it's something I will never forget.

Yesterday we saw Uruguay take on Germany in a battle for 3rd place. Germany had several starters out, but still managed to pull off a 3-2 win. They rallied from a 2-1 deficit with Sami Khedira scoring the game-winner in the 82nd minute. Both teams had impressive runs and showed a lot of heart. Diego Forlan(age 31) and Miroslav Klose(age 32) were dominant forces, but it looks as if their chances of lifting the World Cup trophy in the future are long gone. It's been really great seeing these two players battle it out on the pitch the last few weeks in their quest for the golden boot.

With the World Cup coming to an end, the final should be one of the most exciting games of the tournament. The Spaniards have touch, skill and they dominate possession of the ball. The Netherlands have tremendous pace and are a threat to score at all positions. I'm extremely excited for today's game and Spain's lack of scoring depth is pushing me towards naming the Netherlands as favorites. The only thing holding me back is Spain's ability to possess the ball and completely control the game. Holland is unbeaten in their last 25 games and several players have 1 v 1 capability. My gut is telling me Holland, but my soccer background is telling me Spain. Who will win and be crowned the 2010 World Cup Champions?

My prediction - Spain wins 1-0 and takes home the country's first World Cup trophy.

No comments: